Monday, September 30, 2013

The 2013 WSOP Main Event in Pictures....

The Doyle Brunson bust at the ESPN Main Stage.
With the ESPN coverage of the 2013 World Series of Poker Main Event, I thought this might be a good time to bring you my Main Event in photos.  If you happen to watch the coverage on ESPN this week, you will see one of my photos featured in the coverage.

I had the good fortune of working for BLUFF Magazine this summer.  While some of these photos were featured on the BLUFF WSOP Photo Blog, some have never before been seen.

I would also like to thank Sony, as all of these photos were taken with my Sony NEX 5N and NEX 5R.


Phil Hellmuth is one of those personalities in poker that you don't even need to see his face to notice his presence.  I took the above photo at the secondary feature table.  I was impressed that no matter what else was going on around the table, your eyes always came back to Hellmuth.

The shot to the left is of Rep Porter just after he doubled up at the ESPN feature table.

Nothing too special about it except that I love the look on his face after turning to look at his rail.

To me, I prefer shots like this to your standard poker photos.  They seem to have more personality and, more importantly, capture the moment better.


Some shots are just more fun than others.  For example, the picture above of Ronnie Bardah having some fun at his table with Melanie Weisner.


The story of defending Main Event Champion Greg Merson making a deep run was incredible to follow.  I was lucky enough to grab the above photo while Merson did his ESPN exit interview with Kara Scott.

Just moments later, while all the media had returned to the action, I followed Merson to the payout area.  I particularly like the shot below of Merson getting paid out by himself in shadow of other former Main Event Champions such as Doyle Brunson.


Speaking of Doyle Brunson, the poker legend was the focus of much attention at the 2013 Main Event.

The World Series of Poker commemorated Brunson with a bust in his image that sat at the Main Stage during the Main Event.

When ESPN placed him at the feature table, I was able to get a shot of him playing in the shadow of his bust.

Hopefully this is not Doyle's last Main Event, but if it is, I am glad I was able to get this picture.



Perhaps my favorite shot from the 2013 Main Event is the above photo of Jackie Glazier.  Glazier, the last woman standing in the Main Event, had just been eliminated from the ESPN feature table.  I was able to rush over in the stands to get this shot of her being comforted by her husband Jamie just after.

I love that Jackie and Jamie are completely oblivious to the fact that play continues behind them as they share their moment together.

The photo to the left was taken during a break in the action.

Carlos Mortensen had gone into the stands to chat with his friends Phil Hellmuth and Erick Lindgren and the trio posed for a picture.

I happen to be in the media perch just above them at the time and was able to capture the moment.







Shortly after, we reached the final ten players and it was a waiting game to see who would be eliminated on the November Nine bubble.

I took a seat in the stands to try and capture a unique angle when the moment came.  Unfortunately, Mortensen was knocked out in 10th place.

Just after the hand, chip leader J.C. Tran showed his respect to the former Main Event Champion.  It was disappointing for all to see Mortensen be eliminated.  He would have been a great story and there are few people who represent poker in a better way than Carlos Mortensen.


Right place, right time.  That is how I got the shot above of Carlos Mortensen mucking pocket kings on the river.  I was actually in the media perch on the far side of the ESPN feature table.  To be honest, I was just looking to get a standard portrait shot of Mortensen for the BLUFF website.

As he was mucking, I took the shot.  Weird feeling but I immediately knew I had the shot. It was only a matter of if it turned out and the cards were in focus.  A quick glance at my camera and I knew I had it.

Needless to say, the photo has made it's way around the poker world and will be featured on the ESPN coverage tomorrow night (October 1, 2013).

Finally, below is the full sequence of photos of the Mortensen muck.  Hope you all enjoyed my photos and be sure to watch ESPN tomorrow night!


0 comments: