Thursday, November 8, 2012

The One I've Been Waiting For....

I love to read and am fortunate enough with my travels to have some time to do so.  While I enjoy new material on a regular basis, there are a few books that I read at least twice a year.  They include the likes of The Art of War by Sun Tzu, The Road by Cormac McCarthy, I Am Legend by Richard Matheson and Battle Royale by Koushun Takami.

There is, however, one book that I consistently read over and over....

World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks.

While you may not be a fan of zombie material, this book might be the exception to the rule.  Much like the popular series, The Walking Dead on AMC, World War Z focuses more on the stories than the monsters.

The unique writing style of the novel makes it very easy to keep your interest.  Each chapter is a new story with new characters, telling the story of the rise of the zombie epidemic and the struggle than ensues as the world tries to reclaim itself from the living dead.

A few years ago, plans were announced to produce a movie based on the book.  While this might be difficult based on the flow of the novel, I had faith that it would be done as close to the book as possible.

Now, as the the summer 2013 release date quickly approaches, I am getting more and more excited about the possibilities of this film.  When production company owned by Brad Pitt, Plan B Entertainment, won the rights to the film and announced Pitt as the star, I knew it would be big.

Despite rumors that it won't be staying true to the novel, I still feel that this movie has the potential to be the first true blockbuster zombie movie (sorry, I Am Legend doesn't count after how they portrayed the infected, not to mention the fact that they aren't supposed to be zombies, but a form of vampire. How about we just hold this topic for later and a totally separate ranting blog, okay?).

Needless to say, I am more than a bit excited.  Only time will tell, but I have a good feeling about this one.

Stay up to date on all things World War Z by following their Twitter account, @WorldWarZmovie.

In the meantime, here is the new trailer for World War Z, which was released today:

0 comments: